Sunday 23 March 2014

Spring is springing

A nice afternoon down at the plot today, April showers before April starts really.  Today I dug over and made one of the beds I have not used for a few years - the amount of couch grass is astounding and I am going to have to keep an eye on it!  I also used some old fence panels to mark it out and created a little path between it and the now onion bed.   I'm hoping that with a bit of care etc that this area can become good again, as in my first few years at the plot it was the best soil I had.  In the last few years it has flooded a lot but hopefully this year it will be ok.  I also planted out some onions, around 50 sets today.  Still have another 100 or so to plant so hopefully going to have a lot this year.  Added some of our own compost to the onion bed, not much compost made this year - going to create a comfrey patch I think to help with this.  
One thing I am very happy with so far is the Garlic - as you can see from the photo it is continuing to do well.  I am hoping for some big crops this year and will use some of the cloves for next year as well.
I am happy that my first Broad Beans are just about popping up, hopefully they should now do well. Back at home I have started some seeds off.  
I have planted around 30 tomato plants and 25 broad bean plants.  Hopefully they will do well - using newspaper pots this year again.  This week I need to start my brassicas off, lots of cabbages and some broccoli.  Also leeks need to get going as well.
I am feeling positive about the plot this year - having a greenhouse at home helps and for once I feel on top of it.  Looking forward to the Easter Holidays as well in order to get everything in - especially my spuds!






No comments:

Post a Comment