Saturday 2 April 2011

Seeds a plenty...

A reasonably busy day today - had 3 under 5's with me and they loved the allotment and planting seeds etc.  Always good when kids don't mind getting dirty (we'll ignore when my middle child attacked my eldest with a rake....)

On Weds I managed to get down and plant my earlies and salad potatoes and also planted some parsnips (2 rows)  in sandy / compost enriched soil.  Added some radishes as a quick crop to mark the row.  I also put the cloches up to warm my seed bed - unfortunately the high winds on Thursday took them down again...

Today was a busy day.  I cleaned / tidied one corner and found enough bindweed to last a while - still more there I think.  Planted a couple of rows of main crop potato along with a trick I saw on Gardeners World - added some rocket to the top of the row - we'll see how that goes.  I also planted in the seed bed 2 rows of Purple Sprouting, 2 rows of cabbage, 2 rows of sprouts and 3 rows of leeks.  Seed bed now full!

Also put first spinach in gap in one of the potato beds.  A busy day.  Will probably go down tomorrow - try and get some free compost from the tip and add it to my new raised beds.

Rhubarb looking good - looking forward to first crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment